Central Warehouse

Central Warehouse

The Central Warehouse receives material (with few exceptions) shipped to the College, delivers material to the department, and delivers all Central Stores material. The same staff coordinates all outgoing shipments and maintains a Dead File and Department Storage area.

Receiving at the College

Normally all material ordered on a purchase order is shipped to Central Receiving, however, there are occasions when material may be sent directly to the department or picked up by the department. In either case, with only a few exceptions, Central Receiving must process a receipt in Banner Finance system for the vendor to be paid. If the quantity, description and price on the purchase order, invoice, and receiving documentation entered match in Banner Finance, the vendor will be queued for payment. If one of these pieces is missing the vendor does not get paid.

Consequently, receiving is an important function of the procurement process. Receipt processing involves verifying that the material is what was ordered on the purchase order and comparing the purchase order with the packing slip and/or any other shipping documentation that arrives with the material. It is the responsibility of the individual who receives the material to verify that condition, quantity, and description match with the purchase order. When material is received at Central Receiving, Central Warehouse personnel perform this function; otherwise the department will perform this function. No receipt is required for purchases made using the PCard.

Any materials sent with shipment, i.e. catalogs, technical manuals, or warranty documents that are discovered in the receiving process are turned over to the ordering department with the material.

Central Receipts

When material is received at Central Receiving it is inspected for visible damage. If there is damage it is noted on the Freight Bill and the Procurement Officer notified. Material will normally be received, inspected and delivered to the department within 24 hours. When material is delivered to the department a "proof of delivery" signature and dates are obtained. There is no additional receipt responsibility for departments with central receipts. A receipt is entered directly into Banner Finance that allows system to pay vendor for material received.

Department Receipts

Departments should enter receiving against their purchase orders in eProcure as they receive their goods or services. Instructions for entering receipts can be found in the eProcure Manual on Procurement’s website. Delays in entering receipts result in delayed payment to the vendor and can result in interest penalty charges to your department (under State law). Central Receiving cannot process completion in Banner Finance until the receipt is created in eProcure. Attach receipt documentation to the receipt in eProcure or forward to Central Stores.

Wrong Material Receipts

If the material received is not what was ordered, contact the Procurement Officer who placed the order. The Procurement Officer will contact the company and arrange to have the correct material shipped and the incorrect material returned. If the material is to be returned by common carrier, prepare a Request (IDT) Form and send to Central Warehouse. Include the following information; Purchase Order number, description and quantity, where the material is to be picked up, where it is to be shipped or sent, and the value. Return the material and Request to Central Warehouse. If the material is too large or heavy to hand carry send the Request to the Central Warehouse and it will be picked up.

Damaged or Short Receipts

It is important that the following instructions be adhered to in order to comply with Interstate Commerce Regulations in making claims against either Common Carriers or Vendors. If damage is apparent at the time of delivery, insist that the driver of the delivering carrier note the damage on the freight bill. Send your copy of the freight bill with a memorandum to the Procurement Officer describing the damage and advising if replacement is required. Concealed damage (not immediately apparent) must be reported to the delivery carrier within ten 10 days after the date of delivery. Hold the merchandise and all packaging material for the carrier's inspection. The claim may be declined if the carrier does not inspect packing material as well as the damaged article. Send a memorandum to the Procurement Officer describing the damage and location of the material so the carrier's inspector may be notified to make inspection.

A shortage occurs when the quantity amount on the freight bill or packing slip is greater than the actual quantity received. If the shortage is noticed at the time of delivery, insist the driver note the shortage on both your copy and their copy of the freight bill. Wait three (3) days for delivery of missing packages. Prepare a partial receipt and forward to Central Receiving. If the package is not delivered in reasonable time, prepare a memorandum to the Procurement Officer describing missing item(s).

Special Exceptions Receipts

Hazardous Materials

A Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS) will normally arrive with any hazardous material. A copy of the MSDS is sent to Fire and Safety in campus mail. If you receive hazardous materials that appears to be leaking or is in damaged packaging, please contact Fire & Safety immediately with as much information as possible, to enable them to effectively respond to your call. Live Plants and Animals

Normally live material is sent directly to the department. If by error the material comes through Central Receiving the package is not opened except to obtain the packing slip and the material is sent immediately to the department. If there is a discrepancy, notify Central Receiving immediately upon discovery.

Over-shipments and Wrong Material

Every effort is made to obtain the correct material and to return wrong material to the vendor. This involves coordinating with the Procurement Officer, the department, and the vendor. In the case of over shipments, the vendor is contacted and arrangements are made to have the material picked up or a call tag issued (return authorization). If wrong material is received the Procurement Officer will make arrangements for the vendor to exchange the material. The material is placed in "frustrated material" status at the Central Warehouse until proper resolution of the problem.

Expedited Material

When material is received at Central Receiving via an express carrier (Federal Express, UPS Overnight, etc.) the department will be called if the material cannot be delivered within two (2) hours.

Department Receipts Shipped To Central Receiving

When material is sent to Central Receiving that should have been sent to the department, Central Receiving will deliver the material to the department with the next scheduled delivery. The department is still responsible for processing the receipt in eProcure for the Purchase Order.

Personal Packages

Neither security nor delivery can be provided for personal shipments with State supported resources. Personal packages will be rejected by Central Receiving. Do not ship anything of a personal nature to Central Receiving or the Central Warehouse.

C.O.D. (Cash on Delivery)

The College has no provisions to accept C.O.D. deliveries and they will be refused. Material that arrives at Central Receiving without a valid College of Charleston Purchase Order number may also be refused.

Shipping Material

Central Warehouse can ship out packages, return samples, send equipment for repair and exchange material ordered incorrectly. If material or equipment needs to be shipped out prepare a Request (IDT) Form. If there are any charges associated with shipping the material (for example cost of repair, shipping charges, restocking charge, etc.), submit the requisition in eProcure. Procurement will prepare or modify the purchase document as appropriate. Be sure to complete the shipping address where the material is to be sent; value of the material for insurance purposes, the reason the material is being returned and any correspondence that needs to accompany the material.

Forward the material to Central Warehouse with a Request (IDT) Form. The Central Warehouse can pick up the material and assist with packaging the material if necessary. If it is beyond our capability to physically handle the material a Request to the Physical Plant may be necessary to have the material delivered to the Central Warehouse loading dock.

Express Shipping

(USPS) United States Postal Service Overnight express shipment of packages (under 70 lbs.) and letters can be sent through the College Mail Services. It is the department's responsibility to get the letter or package to the Mailroom with a Request (IDT) Form for shipping charges. Mailing labels and envelopes are available at the Mail Service.

FedEx and UPS labels and envelopes are available at the College Bookstore for this method of shipment. Package must be prepared for shipment, labeled and an IDT completed. Deliver package and IDT to bookstore.


Departmental Storage

Neither the College nor the State is in the long-term storage business. Short-term (3 months or less) storage of material and/or equipment is available on a limited basis. A Request (IDT) Form requesting storage should be sent to the Fleet & Supply Manager. The IDT should list the material to be stored, duration of storage and correct accounting data. If an off campus storage unit is rented the department will be charged actual costs plus handling.

Central Warehouse personnel will advise if the storage request is approved. The department requesting the storage must arrange transportation of the materials to the warehouse. At the end of three months if the material has not been returned to the department, they have the following options:

  1. The material will be returned to the department, or
  2. The material will be declared Surplus and offered to other departments.

Please note that leaving the material and/or equipment in storage beyond the 3-month period is not an option.

Dead File Storage

Central Warehouse has set aside a limited storage area for Dead File Storage. State law requires that some records be maintained for 3 to 5 years. If the department has records that need to be stored, prepare a Request (IDT) Form with a description and quantity of boxes and the length of time storage is required. Dead File Storage Labels (C61540) are available from Central Stores. Only properly labeled Dead File Storage boxes will be accepted.

Send the Request (IDT) Form to Central Warehouse and the boxes will be picked up. The department will be sent a notice requesting disposition when the date for disposal is pending.

Upon expiration of the storage time the department has several options:

  1. Notify Central Warehouse that you have scheduled for the destruction of the files.
  2. Request that the boxes be returned to your department, or
  3. Request that the files be archived.

Requests for archiving must cite accounting data on the Request (IDT) Form. Extending the storage time is not an option. If no response is received to the request for disposition letter, the files will be returned to the department for disposal.